The Finnish Union of Practical Nurses, SuPer is the largest trade union in Finland for social services and health care professionals with an upper secondary level qualification and for students in this field.
SuPer is the only trade union that focuses on the advocacy of practical nurses.
SuPer is a strong and brave advocate of its members, a developer of the profession and training as well as a social influencer that also participates in international activities. SuPer’s key goals include the following: that there are enough trained nursing staff in workplaces, that their salary is in line with the demanding nature of the work and that a practical nurse can fully utilise his/her competence in his/her work.
SuPer is a member of The Finnish Confederation of Salaried Employees STTK and negotiates the employment and collective labour agreements for its members. Local advocacy is the responsibility of SuPer’s local union branches, shop stewards in workplaces, industrial safety delegates and representatives operating at cooperational institutions.
SuPer members work in social services and health care in both the public and the private sector. In addition, some members work as entrepreneurs.
1. The training and work of its members are appreciated.
2. The terms and conditions of employment are competitive.
3. Its members feel well at work.
4. All practical nurses are members of SuPer.
5. SuPer is the leading association of nurses in the social services and health care sector.
- Founded in 1948
- 85 000 members
- Approximately 15 000 student members
- Chairperson: Silja Paavola
SuPer is involved in international activities in many ways. The union co-operates with
- European Council of Practical Nurses EPN
- Public Services International PSI
- European Federation of Public Service Unions EPSU and
- other organizations.
SuPer takes part in international projects which contribute to the development of the profession, the contents of the training and the mobility of practical nurses.